cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

arp traffic

MZydorczyk2
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to prevent so much arp traffic? I am seeing that we are having a ton of it and would like to set something up so the computers dont have to broadcast all the time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matthew

Yes, you can statically map all the mac-addresses on your switches/routers/clients/servers if you really want to remove the broadcasts.

But this is not really practical. Arp is a normal part of the TCP/IP and the broadcasts should not propogate beyond the local vlan.

What you could do is increase the arp timers on all your devices so an arp entry remains in the arp cache for longer.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matthew

Yes, you can statically map all the mac-addresses on your switches/routers/clients/servers if you really want to remove the broadcasts.

But this is not really practical. Arp is a normal part of the TCP/IP and the broadcasts should not propogate beyond the local vlan.

What you could do is increase the arp timers on all your devices so an arp entry remains in the arp cache for longer.

HTH

Jon

I didnt think it would be practical but thanks for that suggestion, i will try it. Thanks.

Matthew

You can do this but beware that if you increase the arp cache that means you have to wait longer for it to time ou eg.

you have a user PC that is broken. You change the PC and give it the same IP address. For it to work you will have to wait until the arp caches time out the entry.

Generally speaking arp cache timers have been decided by vendors after years of experience with ethernet so please be careful when changing.

Jon

how do you set an arp timer?

interface vlan 100

arp timeout 300

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card