Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart ports

muca
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

I am configuring a cisco switch 500 series and all access ports will be set as cisco-desktop smart port.

This switch will be connected to a 3com switch via uplink, vlan1. Which smart port should I use? Can I also use cisco-desktop?

3 Replies 3

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

You'll want to use the switch role on this port. Cisco-desktop role enables portfast and BPDUguard. If the 3com switch talks spanning-tree, this port will shut down upon connecting to the Cisco.

Wochanda,

Many thanks.

I am still a beginner in the "Networking world"

I've never connected a 3com and cisco switch together and I would like to ask just one more question.

The commands for the cisco-switch macro aren't specifics for connecting to another cisco switch? I mean do you know what commands the 3 com switch will be able to interpret?

switchport trunk native vlan $native_vlan

switchport trunk allowed vlan ALL

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

mls qos trust cos

Thanks

These commands aren't specific to connecting to a cisco switch. This just configures the link to be a trunk, so you can connect to any other switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card