CCIP vs CCDP vs CCNP as preperation for CCIE

Answered Question
Aug 8th, 2007
User Badges:

Ok its a three way match now,

I have heard a lot people commenting about how the CCNP is a good preperation for the CCIE R&S, but it seems to me that the CCIE is basically the CCNP rehashed, with more detail in BGP/OSPF and added MPLS, along with a real tough, tough lab.

Seems to me that CCIP covers BGP and MPLS and CCIEesque topics in greater detail than the CCNP. All thats missing from the CCIP is the BCMSN, in terms of an exam acting as a guage for your level of preparedness for taking the CCIE. So is it better to take the CCIP if your final goal is a CCIE?

Then theres the CCDP, lets not forget. I would love to hear from some actual actual CCIE's about which one of the professional certs, CCNP/CCIP/CCDP, was more in line with the CCIE R&S, and was a better preperation guage and assist.

Thanks,

Prasenjit

Correct Answer by jcrussell about 9 years 7 months ago

You're right, it is a bunch of work. But the CCIE is even more work!

I did just the CCNP before getting my CCIE. I wanted to get the CCIE done before my wife had our first child (which I did by 1 month). In hindsight, I would have gotten the CCIP before doing the CCIE. The CCIP covers 3 topics that are on the written and 2 that are on the lab. So the way I see it, you can spend a little less time on BGP, QoS, and MPLS when studying for the CCIE if you get the CCIP first.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
etienne.basset Wed, 08/08/2007 - 23:08
User Badges:

hello,

ccnp AND ccip contain useful information for CCIE. both are good preparation so have both :)

etienne

prasenjitmedhi Thu, 08/09/2007 - 00:17
User Badges:

But its a lot of work! Which of the two CCNP/CCIP, do you think, would be better way to go if you want to get a hold of a CCIE? What did you do yourself, for instance?

Thanks,

Prasenjit

Correct Answer
jcrussell Thu, 08/09/2007 - 04:45
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

You're right, it is a bunch of work. But the CCIE is even more work!

I did just the CCNP before getting my CCIE. I wanted to get the CCIE done before my wife had our first child (which I did by 1 month). In hindsight, I would have gotten the CCIP before doing the CCIE. The CCIP covers 3 topics that are on the written and 2 that are on the lab. So the way I see it, you can spend a little less time on BGP, QoS, and MPLS when studying for the CCIE if you get the CCIP first.

cyphur353 Thu, 08/09/2007 - 05:31
User Badges:

Here's my take on it -

If you get your CCNP, you have already covered a lot of topics in the CCIE both written and in the lab(even if not in the detail needed). You can study for the CCIP BGP+MPLS composite as part of your CCIE studies. In the meantime, you've already "certified" your knowledge.

Either way, you are going to have to know much of both to pass the CCIE - so the work is there regardless.

steve_steele Thu, 08/09/2007 - 14:35
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi I was thinking of completing both CCNP and CCIP before going on for CCIE as it would break down some of the studying into manageble chunks and allow me to check my progress by sitting the MPLS and BGP exams on the way.

Can anyone recommend a good study guide for the BGP and MPLS exams?

2pparish Thu, 08/09/2007 - 19:28
User Badges:

Heres my take...

If you are completely new to the topics it might be a good idea to get professional level certifications, or if you don't have time to go for the CCIE.

Otherwise save the $500+ on exam expenses, books, and training materials for the CCNP and put them towards the CCIE!

If your end goal is the CCIE you can skip the time and money spend on preparing for professional level exams. You can probably save 3 months or more.

prasenjitmedhi Fri, 08/10/2007 - 11:22
User Badges:

Man I wish I had the brain of a Newton or an Einstein, instead I'm just an average geek!

This is my CCIE roadmap now:

1. I think I'll go for the CCIP first, get certified at the professional level.

2. Get some good solid practice and confidence behind me, then slog for the CCIE Written.

3. Get lots and lots of rack time perhaps buy my own rack for the CCIE.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

They helped somewhat more than they confused me,

Confound it :)

2pparish Fri, 08/10/2007 - 11:38
User Badges:

Studying for the CCIE is nothing compared to anything Newton or Einstein did.

The CCIE is a test of dedication, perseverance, and memorization more then anything.

Its extremely difficult, but you don't have to be a genius to pass the CCIE by any means.

Perseverance and dedication I would say are the most important parts of CCIE prep.

Actions

This Discussion