cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2007 edge server with ironport

openpeak
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a frontend exch 2003 and backend exch 2003 server with ironport. my mx record is the ironport which then forwards into the backend server. The frontend server was only used for owa and using outlook with https connection to exchange.
With 2007 it has more functionality and the front end server is now called an edge server. Should I have mx go there then to ironport or vice versa? I'm thinking ironport to edge server to hub transport server. Is that correct? will it work?

anyone have exchange 2007 edge server with ironport? what are you doing?

5 Replies 5

You'll want to use your Ironport right on the edge of your network - so that Senderbase can do it's stuff.

openpeak
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I know. I don't think I was clear. I'm thinking about mail flow. Will it go ironport to exch07 edge to exch07 hub transport. Or can I do like I have it now and just have ironport to exch07 hub transport? I think that is a problem now cause it seem exch07 hub transport really needs to send/receive from its edge server if there is one.

svens_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

The Exchange 2003 front end server is replaced by Exchange 2007 client access server.
The Exchange 2007 edge server role has more or less the same functionalities as IronPort (anti virus, anti spam)
If you have Ironport you don't need the Exchange edge server role. Let the IronPort forward your mail to the hub transport server.

openpeak
Level 1
Level 1

well that wouldve been nice to know a little earlier. anyway I have ironport successfully sending mail to the edge server who sends it on to the hub transport server. right now the client access server is on the same as the hub but can be easily moved later. this is for very few people so its not like I need to off load anything as its a powerful dual core server. anyway now with the edge server I can test how effective it is versus the ironport. I'll let everyone know when you can ditch the ironport for msft's edge server. (Don't hold your breath).

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Any status on how that Edge server compared to an IronPort appliance?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: