cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BPDU over transeiver

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

we are connected to a provider switch using a transeiver. It seems that we are not exchanging BPDU information. The question is: do BPDU info pass transceiver? Our switchport is on VLAN 123 while their switchport is on VLAN 200. Could that be the problem?

5 Replies 5

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Transiever is L1, so it should not alter any higher layer information. Are you running trunk? Maybe you need to match VTP domain name of the other side.

If it is access (or native) that means VLAN is sent without 802.1q tags, so it wouldn't matter that numbers mismatch.

Otherwise you need to match it.

so what you are saying it that BPDU should be seen on both sides? What about if both sides have their switches setup as root?

You cannot CONFIGURE root. You can configure priority. The "root" command only sets the priority to 8192. STP elects the root bridge for every VLAN (depending on the protocol - RSTP, MST, PVST...)

I know that...what i was trying to say was that one of our switch is designated as root on our side and they have a switch designated as root as well on their side. What I think here is that because of this, BPDU will not pass across the transeiver. we had two switches on our side and they had two switched on their. both setup with hsrp as well. we ended turning off one port because we had a loop.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card