cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Dial ext for outside phone

wbarren
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user that when he calls from his home phone cannot dial his ext. He calls in on a number we have setup for family, etc. to call. Call comes in transfers to our AA(unity). He is then prompted to put in the ext he would like to dial. When he dials 390 the call fails. If he dials 391 or 315 call connects. If he dials 290 or 490 call fails. On the failures he hears a message that it is not a valid ext. If I call from a cell phone or other landlines and dial the same ext it works. Does anyone know how I could see what digits unity is receiving when he dials the ext?

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi William,

That is an "odd" one isn't it. Weird that this user has problems with 390,290 and 490?? I'm guessing that they are using a very cheap phone that is not sending proper DTMF for 9 or 0 or perhaps both. Try looking at the Call Viewer on the Unity server or Port Status monitor to see the DTMF digits that Unity is receiving;

Call Viewer

For each call that the phone system integration sends to Cisco Unity, the Call Viewer displays one line of information. This information can be helpful when troubleshooting problems with the phone system integration, as well as testing call routing rules.

The Call Viewer displays integration information for inbound calls only. To see call information for outbound calls, use the StatusMonitor, located in the Tech Tools directory.

Note that if you are troubleshooting a Cisco CallManager integration, you must use the Call Viewer; the Cisco Unity Integration Monitor is not compatible with a Cisco CallManager integration.

To run the Call Viewer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 If Cisco Unity is not running, start it.

Step 2 On the Cisco Unity server desktop, double-click the Cisco Unity Tools Depot icon.

Step 3 In the left pane of the Tools Depot window, in the Switch Integration Tools directory, double-click Call Viewer.

Step 4 Use the Call Viewer window to see call information that the phone system integration provides to Cisco Unity for inbound calls.

Hope this helps!

Rob

I was looking at the call from the call viewer and can see the call come in. I also checked out the port status monitor and see the call. The problem is the call goes to a directory handler and then I do not see the DTMF digits passed. any ideas?

I was looking at the call from the call viewer and can see the call come in. I also checked out the port status monitor and see the call. The problem is the call goes to a directory handler and then I do not see the DTMF digits passed. any ideas?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi William,

Boy, not sure about that. Maybe you could try using a report like Lindborg indicates in this thread;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd89592/0#selected_message

It seems like you must be trying to prove to the User that his home phone is at fault here (which seems obvious from your details given that these calls work from everywhere else) these are always tough to prove. Maybe you could find out a little more about the home phone as well?

Maybe this will help,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: