Views
Helpful
Replies

BBSM 5.3 failure after a restart - URGENT

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I have a Cisco BBSM server running that handles authentication for a WiMax network.

Recently we had some issues and I was forced to reboot the BBSM, however.. now it isn't even running.

We have passthrough (the box itself is running), as any website that doesn't normally prompt for authentication still works fine.

Any page that used to require authentication however, now brings up a '

'Server Applicaton Error' and the authentication screen doesn't come up.

I went to the BBSM box to investigate and the dashboard won't even open (page not found error). It just doesn't look like it's starting properly for some reason. My SQLServer is running fine, and the services dependant on SQLServer are also running. I don't know what I am missing.

Note that I do not have much experience with BBSM at all - this is my first time having to touch the device as it was stable until now.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. A bit of background info: All of this started happening after the switch connected to it crashed and I had to replace it with a different one. The original switch was a 3750-24TS and the replacement is a 3750-24PS. I tried switching off the Power on the replacement for the ports (PoE) but that made no difference. The BBSM has no trouble connecting into the internal network or getting to the internet. The configuration for both switches is exactly the same.

Thanks,

Jeff

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

I think the possibilities cause for BBSM not functioning is following:

1. The IP addresses were not changed correctly.

2. A network device has been disconnected. The problem could be a bad Ethernet cable, an unplugged Ethernet or power cable, or the switch itself might be malfunctioning. If a switch is merely misconfigured, traffic still passes through. The client would receive a DHCP address, and support staff could reach switches located downstream of the suspected switch.

For more information please click following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_building_broadband_service_manager/5.3/operations/guide/ops53_06.html#wp1050406

Hi thomas,

It isn't a network-related issue. Clients get valid DHCP addresses and they can access non-restricted websites without any issues- the problem only occurs when they try going to a site that asks for authentication through BBSM. There is full network connectivity through the box- the application itself is not running properly, though after some investigating it looks like it's a problem with the local HTTP server running on the BBSM box.

Though we can't figure out why it's not functioning properly, it appears that the box has been tampered with. We may just have to re-image and reinstall BBSM anyway because of this.

Thanks anyways though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: