Any experience with hybrid to native Conversion Utility?

Unanswered Question
Aug 9th, 2007
User Badges:

Does anyone have comments on using the Hybrid to Native Conversion Utility (not to be confused with the Configuration Conversion Tool).

Thanks

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
tromer Thu, 08/16/2007 - 14:15
User Badges:

I have used it before, but I prefer to just do it by hand. It's a good start though.

I would take the cat config line-by-line and configure the correct IOS command for each.

Use the utility though, it's a good start, but make sure you double check between catos and ios. It may leave commands out that are not supported in IOS, so you may have to know a workaround.

kschleppenbach Thu, 08/16/2007 - 14:26
User Badges:

Thanks, But I'm referring to the Hybrid to Native Conversion Utility, not the Configuration Conversion Tool. The Utility is set up on a PC with the required code files and it does the config reg changes, reloads, file copies, etc. to perform the actual conversion from CAT to IOS.

tromer Thu, 08/16/2007 - 14:41
User Badges:

My bad, Yeah that sounds cool... Never messed with that one! I have to migrate a couple times every month or so and I'll have to check it out!

mohammedmahmoud Thu, 08/16/2007 - 21:16
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Hi,

Personally i've tried both, but i preferred doing the conversion without the Conversion Utility, using the Conversion utility can take more time (please do check step 5 in Run the Conversion Utility section, the five error messages that could appear), on the other hand i've felt the normal conversion without the utility is more logical and professional, plus i remember also that using the utility only applies to Supervisor Engine 1, 1A or 2 with a MSFC card.

How to Convert a Catalyst 6500/6000 Supervisor Engine from Hybrid Mode (CatOS) to Native Mode (IOS) Using a Conversion Utility

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml#Conversion

System Software Conversion from CatOS to Cisco IOS for Catalyst 6500/6000 Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Actions

This Discussion