Certifacation Track

Unanswered Question
Aug 9th, 2007

Hello All,

Let me start off by saying that this is my first time learning about this site which I think is a great tool. Now I am an "old" CCNA and on course to take the newer versions of the CCNA/DA. Now my question is since Cisco has got a lot of new "paths" to take after the CCNA, which of these are in Demand? I know that it depends on what you want to go into but for me I am trying to "Specialize" in a field as I know it is tough to have full knowledge of both Voice and Security.

Some combos I hear in the real world, all of these suggestions are of what I hear and just need some clarification:

CCNP/CCSP - Is this necessary or just CCSP is enough? You learn the routing part in CCSP already?Right?

CCNP/CCSP/CCDP - Overkill?

CCNP/CCVP - Necessary?

Now there is a CCIP which I know is more for service providers so I am wondering if anyone will be doing the CCIP in conjunction with having it with their CCNP or CCSP? Is the CCIP even in demand and does it further your knowledge of routing or some other types of protocols?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
srue Fri, 08/10/2007 - 01:00

CCNP/CCSP - you definitely only learn *minimal* routing by just doing the CCSP. CCNP is a great compliment to CCSP , and vice versa.

CCNP/CCSP/CCDP - i dont think so, but i'm biased

CCNP/CCVP - i've heard differing opinions here. It's possible to do the CCVP w/o doing the CCNP, and even without having the knowledge base of a CCNP. Doing both will make you a better rounded *voice* engineer though.

CCIP - i've personally never seen this cert listed in a job description. But I have seen the *skill set* in a job description.

Any combination of these certs will make you more attractive as a potential employee and will make you more well rounded. The only exception might be voice, b/c those are usually very specific jobs (as opposed to just data networking or security).

yutingsun Fri, 08/10/2007 - 08:26

Thanks for the Input guys, I am now certainly going to be taking the CCNP after my re-cert. I am really interested in either the CCSP or even the CCIP after I go threw with the CCNP process. Money is not too much of a problem because my employer is will to put some of it into my education. Now I know there are not a lot of CCIP's out there and would like to hear a comment from one that is benefiting from it.

I heard that having the CCDA is just "enough" for the designing aspects, but I am sure the CCDP goes into a lot more so is it a lot more designing or theory?

Thanks again all!

purohit_810 Fri, 08/10/2007 - 04:32

As of my suggetion, you should look certification specializtion as well as " COST ".

If cost really doesn't matter, than it's Ok. But people generally looks on cost.

1) CCNA -- 1 paper

2) CCNP -- 4 Papers

3) CCSP -- 5 papers

4) CCIP -- 3 Papers

5) CCVP -- 4 papers

6) CCDP -- 4 papers {Id you pass CCNP + 1 paper of designing you will get CCNP and CCDP both. This Looks like your specialization in both R&S + Designing}

7) CCIE, in any 1 Online paper + LAB Exam.

Now Market looks people with multiple skills, how much you do that's less. But DO ONE THING MAKE YOURSELF INTO THAT A-Z. If you do 10 thing and you are not perfect in any one of them that's the problem.

R&S path:

Security + R&S:

CCNA + CCNP + CCIE Written in Security {Now you have specialization in Both side R&S + Security}

If you are CCNP + 2 Papers CCIP{Keep in mind usally it is 3-4 papers}

Purely Security:

CCNA + CCSP + CCIE (Security) + You must have to doother vendors certifications also. Such as Checkpoint, Nokia, Jumiper etc.

Dharmesh Purohit

yutingsun Fri, 08/10/2007 - 08:28

I think before I even touch the CCIE I would want to specialize in either R&S or Voice. Does the CCIP tie in to routing more?

This Discussion