Views
Helpful
Replies

Printer Network Card timeout after sometimes on C2950 switch

ahpark78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Anyone face this problem before? I have few printers, on certain time it wont be able to print/ping although it is on ready mode.

Have checked the arp table on the switch but there isn;t any until unplug the network cable that connected to the printer and put it back again.

After that,only it able to print and ping. If not it is still on request timed out until resetting of the printer network connection.

Thanks in advanced.

5 Replies 5

ahpark78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Anyone face with this problem before? is it ARP timeout problem?

muca
Level 3
Level 3

What you could try as a workaround is to add a static entry in the arp table.

Have u thought that it could be a problem with the printer? I mean drivers or firmware. Have a look on the manufacture website.

HTH

I have checked on the printer and set the sleepy mode to 4hours..but doesnt seems able to ping although it is on Ready Mode.

check the arp table, it was not there..

by the way,how can i set the static entry on the switch?

thanks.

c
Level 1
Level 1

Have heard of similar problem. When the problem occurs can you try to ping from outside your subnet if possible. See if the arp entry appears. Is the printer HP or Xerox?

You may try to update the firmware of the printer after consulting with the vendor.

You can set a static arp as well.Try the below two commands (the commands depend on your switch type) -

arp ip-address-of-printer xxxx.xxxx.xxxx ARPA

where xxxx.xxxx.xxxx is the mac-addr of your printer.

You can add the mac-addr to the mac-table by the following -

mac address-table static xxxx.xxxx.xxxx vlan 1 interface fastethernet0/y

0/y is the interface where the printer is connected.

Do inform the result

Hi Config T,

i will try your method..but why must add it to the vlan 1. this one i dun understand..

maybe can explain more?

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card