cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and Windows DNS help

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

I'll try and explain this the best I can.

We have a single AD 2003 domain.

We have just added a VPN to our office in the US. Totally separate networks/domains.

I can ping there DNS servers and web servers.

They have asked me to add their DNS servers to our DHCP scopes which is done.

We now have added our 2 DNS servers and their 2 DNS servers, the order is ours then theirs.

If I ping our servers names it resolves, if I ping the there DNS names it resolves, but I then can't ping any of our server names, it's as if my pc is only suing their DNS servers and not ours first. Is this right and the best way for me to ping resolve there DNS names?

I was thinking of removing the DNS from our AD servers and just manually putting in the names into DNS as A hosts, problem is we are on gb.nji.local and they are on nh.net

Do I have to add a zone or something to our DNS to resolve them?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

srue
Level 7
Level 7

configure your dns servers to forward unresolved queries to the other dns servers. also, add the other dns suffixes in the tcp/ip properties so they are searched when trying to resolve hostnames (if you want to resolve names w/o typing in the fqdn).

repeat for other side if necessary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: