cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan problem

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

i have a router 7200 connected(g0/2) with switch 3550(g0/12). I have on my switch 3 vlans. So i did the following:

1. The interface of switch(g0/12) to trunk mode encapsulation dot1q

2. I create 3 subinterfaces (g0/2.1, g0/2.2,g0/2.3)on the router with dot1q encapsulation with different networks.

3. i removed the ip address of the interface(g0/2) of the router and i put ip addresses on subinterfaces.

i do not know what i am doing wrong but i seems it does not work. Did i forget anything? Did i did something wrong?

Meantime the interface of the router(g0/2) (not subinterfaces) i saw that it was encapsulation dot1q vlan id 1 . The others interfaces(g0/1 etc) of the router which i did not create subinterfaces were encapsulation ARPA.

i tried to change that but the int(g0/2) does not accept encapsulation.

Thanks

moses

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

can you post the output of show run and show interface g0/2.x ?

regds

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

It should work ok in theory. Please post configurations of gi0/2 and it's subinterfaces from 7206, and configuration of gi0/12 on your 3550.

m-mueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

have you forget to say that the intg0/2 is now an Switchport ?

router: int g0/2

switchport

switchport trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan xy

etc...

you shouldn't give any commands on Physical interface,you should use sub interfaces like exmple vlan int g0/2.1

vlan int g0/2.2

I restart the router and configured the router again . Now it seems to work . I did encapsulation only on subinterfaces not at the interface. Is that enough? And also here the result of show int g0/2 which I did not do encapsulation and also remove the ip address:

GigabitEthernet0/2 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is BCM1250 Internal MAC, address is 000f.2417.ab1a ?

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID 1., loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

??.

Why it shows the :

Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID 1., loopback not set

Thanks

moses

Moses

When you configure the physical interface with subinterfaces then the IOS knows that the interface is trunking and that the encapsulation must be 802.1Q. In 802.1Q the native VLAN is sent untagged and by default the native VLAN is VLAN 1. So this message is reflecting the default behaviors.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card