cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracker

kjmattakat
Level 1
Level 1

I am creating a web driven database to house our location/network inventory. I am running CiscoWorks LMS2.6 on another server. I would like to build a web form to access user tracker info from the Ciscoworks server, similar to the user tracker tool, so users can access this information from the website instead of having to deploy the app to the desktop.

Is there a way to do this?

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

User Tracking is already a web-based application. You don't have to deploy anything on the client except a web browser to access User Tracking.

Unless I am missing something - i would also have to give them access to Ciscoworks which i would rather not do. I would rather create a form on an internal website so all they have to do is put in the query info and hit submit, the access to the CiscoWorks server would happen in the background.

They would have to have at least Help Desk access to User Tracking to be able to query it. If you want to extract the data from UT, you have two choices. One is to use the "ut -cli" command from the command line. This will output data in CSV format. The other is to use the cmexport tool to output data in XML format. Both will provide you all of the User Tracking data which you can then import into another application.

i could call the CLI from a web page. How do i get the UT -CLI on another server other than Ciscoworks?

You would have to make a remote connection to the server, and execute the command that way. However, I was thinking more along the lines of having a backend daemon script run on the CiscoWorks server, capture the UT data, then write that data out to a database that could be accessed by your other server.

Alternatively, the cmexport XML data can be accessed from remote using the CMExportServlet interface. That procedure is documented in the Campus Manager online help at http://server/help/CMcore/CmHelp/Dee_DevRefServletExport.html .

It appears that the "user search band" app installed on my workstation does an HTTP call to the ciscoworks server on port 1741, is there no way to duplicate this via a web form?

The User Tracking Utilities' protocol is not published, nor is it supported to make calls from an app other than UTU to this servlet. The reason being is that we do not publish this protocol spec as it may change from release to release.

Unless I am missing something - i would also have to give them access to Ciscoworks which i would rather not do. I would rather create a form on an internal website so all they have to do is put in the query info and hit submit, the access to the CiscoWorks server would happen in the background.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: