cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp conditional peering

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone, i had a question regarding bgp.

Suppose i have 2 routers peering with an ISP ( whether same ISP or 2 different ISP ) lets name these routers RA and RB. i want RB to make a peering session with its ISP if and only if RA fails its bgp session, now u can also assume that RA fails completely or just loses its bgp connection, in either case i want RB to start its own bgp session, so i want to make RB backup of RA in terms of BGP.

how can it be possible

6 Replies 6

criss_noh
Level 1
Level 1

yes. that is commonly used. you can have backup line via BGP or have 2 paths likely loadbalancing.

can u kindly tell me that how its possible ? what configuration i have to do ???

The only way i could think of achieving this is by configuring BGP over loopbacks and making sure that it is reachable only when your primary links come up.

Narayan

that is very simple. you just command maximum-path 2. but please make sure all of BGP best path selection procedure.

router bgp 10

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as xxxx

maximum-paths 2

end

etienne.basset
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i don't know exactly why you want to to this but you should do like this :

RA <=EBGP=> ISP

RB <=EBGP=> ISP

AND

RA <=IBGP=> RB

then RA set localpref150 on incoming routes,

RB do as path prepend on outgoing routes...

it's more clean than 'conditionnal peering'

Etienne

Dear etienne,

I guess that he wants to have 2 paths on the same router. this means link redundency vis bgp not router redundency.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco