cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting laptop to 2511

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i just got a laptop .. how I will connect it to 2511.. there is no serial port.. can I use a telnet or something else.. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

karim

This seems to be a quite different question from what I thought at first. Sorry if I did not understand it well.

What I now think I understand is that it is not a question about the 2511 but is a question about accessing routers and switches through their console ports when there is not a traditional serial/console port on the laptop. This is actually a fairly frequent thing these days with many new PCs (especially laptops) not having the traditional serial/console port. Frequently the answer to this is a USB to serial adapter. There are a number of them on the market. I have heard good things about the adapter from Belkin. I do not have personal experience with this since I managed to find a laptop with a serial port when I got my current laptop (a couple of years ago).

So I believe that the answer to your situation is to get a USB adapter for console/serial communication.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

karim

Whether you can connect to the 2511 by telnet depends on whether the 2511 ethernet interface has been no shut and configured with an IP address (and whether the vty lines have been configured with passwords). If the 2511 ethernet interface has an IP address and is active and if the vty ports are configured for telnet (they are by default) and have a password configured (or are configured with "no login") then you should be able to connect the Ethernet interface of your PC to the Ethernet of the 2511 (using a cross over cable) and should be able to telnet.

I think that we may need some clarification of your question. When you say that there is no serial port are you talking about a serial port on your PC or a serial port on the 2511? The 2511 does have a console (serial) port but it will have a DB25 connection rather than a RJ45 as most more modern routers have. If you have an appropriate adapter for DB25 rollover you should be able to connect to the 2511 console port just as you would connect to other routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply

my switch does have an Ip and I do not know it. I just got a laptop with window vista , now first I could not find the terminal emula. now usaly on the pc there is a place where you can connect the console cable and ethernet side on to the console port in the switch . with the laptop there is no serial port,, any other option to connect to the switch. I mean I can take my switch and plug it to my desktop but I need to see if i can do that with my laptop .,,, Thanks

karim

This seems to be a quite different question from what I thought at first. Sorry if I did not understand it well.

What I now think I understand is that it is not a question about the 2511 but is a question about accessing routers and switches through their console ports when there is not a traditional serial/console port on the laptop. This is actually a fairly frequent thing these days with many new PCs (especially laptops) not having the traditional serial/console port. Frequently the answer to this is a USB to serial adapter. There are a number of them on the market. I have heard good things about the adapter from Belkin. I do not have personal experience with this since I managed to find a laptop with a serial port when I got my current laptop (a couple of years ago).

So I believe that the answer to your situation is to get a USB adapter for console/serial communication.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

is there any other way to connect to the switch with out console/serial ? thanks

hi, don't mean to be intrusive, Rick very much nailed down the options to connect to unknown switch IP address with a non-serial port laptop.

If you knew at least the subnet the switch IP is under configure your laptop with an IP under that subnet and use one of those freeware ping sweepers and sweep through the subnet to get an IP addresses list, but it is assumed if you do not know the IP address of the switch you may not know the password either and will bring you to square one needing serial console access for password recovery.

Jorge Rodriguez

my second problem is that there is no HyperTerminal in vista. so should I do? Thanks

Hi Karim,

You are right it was removed from Windows Vista (MS:) ) , you can use this free one:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network_and_Internet/Terminals_and_Telnet_Clients/HyperTerminal_Private_Edition_Download.html

or you can use a professional one like SecureCRT.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mo will try both of them . good to hear from ya..

Hi Karim,

Nice to c u back :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mo one more thing, can I use ibook with os x. and use the usb/ serial wire from mac to the switch, if yes what hyper terminal would you recommand .. Thanks

Hi Karim,

Check this out:

http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

Enjoy :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

ok cool. I read that somewhere will try that 2, before reurning the the window laptop to the store..Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco