cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871W and dual ISP configuration

rgaudet
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 871W connecting to a cable modem getting public address information via DHCP, I have added a DSL connection using a Westell router/modem connecting to one of the switchports on the 871W. What is the best way to configure automatic failover from my primary connection of the cable connected to fa4 on the 871W to the DSL connected via one of the switchports over to the Westell? I thought about using tracking in my route; however, the default route is learned via DHCP from the ISP, so I have no default static route listed in my config. The route that does show up "show ip route" has a metric of 254. I tried adding a default route to the Westell by having a metric of 255, but in powering off the cable modem, it did not seem to "failover" currectly. I have even played with defining mutilple gateways on the XP machine, but still does not work. Do I create another VLAN interface for the port connecting to the Westell and have it as another Internet port? Can that even be done on this model? Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

rgaudet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

be aware that unless you create VLAN for the port connected to the 2nd, you may have trouble in doing anything. the VLAN requires an advanced IP services image that is not given by default.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card