Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller & LAP

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm designing a wireless NW with one wireless Controller and 12 LightWeight Access Points, I will assign an IP address for the management IF from the same subnet for the LightWeight Access Points. I have the following questions:

1- Can we assign a static IP address for the LAP from the same controller Mgt IF or it can be done dynamically from the DHCP server?

2- The LAP will broadcast a join request using Layer3 mode, right?

3- The distribution ports and the LAPs ports will be in trunk mode, right?

Thanks in advance

Abd Alqader

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

1) Your LWAPP can get an ip address from your DHCP server if you have one in network.

2) Yes it will be L3 mode.

3) The dist. port connected to controller should be configured as trunk port and ports connected to your Lwapp APs should be configured as an access port.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for your reply. If i don't have a DHCP server, can i assign static IP address at the LAPs?

For the LAP ports, yes they must be configured as access port, i want to assign VLAN 7 to these access ports, the same VLAN and subnet for the controller management Interface and AP-Manager. This is OKAY, right?

Third, Does the GLC-SX-MM applicable and supported at the controller distribution ports?

Thanks in advance

Abd Alqader

Hi Friend,

Yes you can configure static ip address to APs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008082d707.html#wp1105314

Yes you are correct with your vlan configuration.

The gigabit Ethernet ports on the 4402 and 4404 controllers accept these SX/LC/T small form-factor plug-in (SFP) modules:

- 1000BASE-SX SFP modules, which provide a 1000-Mbps wired connection to a network through an 850nM (SX) fiber-optic link using an LC physical connector

- 1000BASE-LX SFP modules, which provide a 1000-Mbps wired connection to a network through a 1300nM (LX/LH) fiber-optic link using an LC physical connector

- 1000BASE-T SFP modules, which provide a 1000-Mbps wired connection to a network through a copper link using an RJ-45 physical connector

So GLC-SX-MM will work fine.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card