Views
Helpful
Replies

Best NTP time source to be used in goverment environment

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I want to ask for your opinion ??If possible?? of using NTP and the best way to configure it in the government organisation. For example ?What server to use???? or ?How to get the time information?????.. Etc. I?ll be thankful.

Swami

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Swami

It is certainly part of Best Practices to use NTP to assure correct and accurate time (this applies to Government and non-government entities). In my experience the best way to configure it is to have one or several of the devices in your network learn NTP time from NTP servers available in the Internet. There are a number of NTP servers that are available. Then once you have devices in your network with authoritative time they can act as NTP servers to other devices in your network.

To help you select a time server I suggest that you use this link which explains things and has information about available NTP servers:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

The best way is to source from a Stratum 1 clock source and is probably the most expensive solution. You should have an internal Loran clocking relay. This unit takes its timing from one of the Atomic clocks situated around the earth. It will then provide to you a Stratum 1 clock source. You would then time and clock your network componants from this source.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card