cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving from EX 2003 to 2007

mperbix
Level 1
Level 1

We just Upgraded to CCM and Unity 5.x, We have all our mailboxes in Exchange 2003, but we also have Ex 2007 installed and ready for use to move mailboxes to. Everything it working fine as far as voicemail. The Unity box has the exchange tools for 2003 installed (sp2).

When I move my mailbox to a 2007 mailstore, the Web GUI sees the new mailstore, I can go through the motions of leaving a message, but no message appears in my mailbox, and when I attempt to check message, I get an error regarding my messages not being available.

Do I need to install the Ex 2007 utilities on the Unity server, and if I do, will the 2003 mailboxes still be accessible?

Thank you.

9 Replies 9

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have not tried this yet myself, but like with any other exchange upgraded, you have to upgrade or install the Management tools on the Unity server. This updates the mapi components as well. It's probably having an issue transfering the message from unity to the mailstore. Also, your message store configuration should have this new store attached to it as well.

Thank you, I will try installing the Exchange 2007 tools.

Wait!!!

Cisco Unity 5.0 uses the Exchange 2003 System Manger even when mailboxes are homed on Exchange 2007. We did not test or qualify the Exchange 2007 System Management with Cisco Unity 5.0.

Your issue is more than likely a permissions issue. Also worth mentioning, in a mixed Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007 enviroment, it is perfectly fine for the Exchange 2003 server to remain your partner server.

Have you re-ran the Cisco Unity Permissions Wizard to assign rights to Cisco Unity's message store service account to access the Exchange 2007 message store?

No, I did not RERUN it. I will try that.

I re-re-re ran the permissions wizard, and our test mailbox works in a 2003 mailstore, We noticed that the mailstore has the appropriate permission, but it is not being inherited by the children objects, but all others are.

During our test, I left a message but it never showed in the mailbox, and when I attempt to pick up the message by phone, I receive the "message store is unavailable..." then "You have received no new messages"

-Mike

Sorry, let me be more specific...

Everything works fine when in a 2003 Mailstore, as soon as I move the mailbox to a 2007 mailstore, we get the problems. We also notice a drastic difference in the permissions of the mailstores between 2003 and 2007, but thinking that might be a difference in how the Exchange server operates.

Should the permisions be the same? If so, they are not, and if so, why isn't the permissions wizard doing what it needs to do?

-Mike

okay...so 2 problems were found after escalating the case with Cisco techs...the first

To have a mix of 2003 and 2007, your mailstore that stores the unity_servername needs to be on a 2007 mailstore, and you need to choose Exchange 2007 during the setup. So I had to re-run the mailstore configuration wizard (and btw...having to go to add/remove software control panel to launch that....ummm a little counter intuitive...

The second problem was, the Unity server could NOT communicate with the mailstore. We were using a Exchange cluster, and the virtual hearbeat interface was set for the same VLAN as the Unity server, and was not allowing network traffic to pass...once we fixed that, and the servers could see each other with a ping test, all worked well.

I now have mailboxes in both 2003 and 2007 working.

-Mike

dandwyer1
Level 1
Level 1

Mperbix,

we are in the process of this. Did you by chance have multiple message stores for your new exchange 2007 environment? If so, did you generate the e2k7script_.psl for every mail box store? That is where i'm stuck. I have one 2003 exchange server left to remove and I can't do this until I get exchange 2007 upgraded on our unity servers. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: