USB to Serial adapter connection

Answered Question
Aug 12th, 2007
User Badges:

I have a iBook G4. Console cable, and USB to Serial adapter cable. I would like to be able to console into a Cisco router, I am using Zterm as was recommanded early for Hyperterminal. it seems that the connection is there. when I click on the Zterm app I get a blank white screen with

ATE1 V1

OK

-

any one have any idea how to use this terminal or help get connected

I know that I can use Terminal to telnet into the router, but I need to console in first to set up the basic configuration.

Thanks

Correct Answer by mohammedmahmoud about 9 years 11 months ago

Hi Karim,

I am very glade that you did it :) please do enjoy your lab, i'll always be here if you have further problems, and thanks for the nice rating.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Overall Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
guruprasadr Sun, 08/12/2007 - 20:57
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

HI,

You can use "Hyperterminal" for this kind of Setup.

Setup as below:

------------------------

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

mohammedmahmoud Sun, 08/12/2007 - 22:25
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Hi Karim,

For Zterm, generally configure 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and you must select usbserial if you're using a usb-to-serial converter.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

royalblues Mon, 08/13/2007 - 01:20
User Badges:

It shows to me as either Com3 or Com4

Narayan

cisco steps Mon, 08/13/2007 - 07:03
User Badges:

thanks for the reply all of you, the issue that I have is where I can configure all this >>>>

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

the Screen is blank so how I will configure it ..I do not see any options where I do that ..

Thanks

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 08/13/2007 - 12:05
User Badges:

Hi Karim,

As illustrated in the link you've found, first you need to go to settings -> Modem Preferences -> select usbserial0 as the default modem and then edit your connection parameters as said in earlier posts, and it should be that simple.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

mohammedmahmoud Tue, 08/14/2007 - 12:59
User Badges:

Hey Karim,

How do you do :), you'll need to make sure that you've installed the driver for the usb-to-serial converter.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

cisco steps Tue, 08/14/2007 - 13:50
User Badges:

Mo .. I did buy a generic usb/serial and it did not come w/ the driver... do I have to buy an other one// Thanks

cisco steps Sun, 08/19/2007 - 09:57
User Badges:

Hi Mo

I did try to download the driver but I get a Chinese characters. I will try it again today... Tanks

cisco steps Mon, 08/20/2007 - 05:16
User Badges:

That did it Mo .. thanks for taking your time to help me with the issue. it works better then windows hypererminal.. :-)

Correct Answer
mohammedmahmoud Mon, 08/20/2007 - 05:49
User Badges:

Hi Karim,

I am very glade that you did it :) please do enjoy your lab, i'll always be here if you have further problems, and thanks for the nice rating.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

wenqiz1989@yahoo.com Mon, 07/22/2013 - 07:16
User Badges:

Hi! Mohamedmahmoud:

I have the same problem with this usb-serial cable.  I install Prolific driver for windows XP.  I still do not get any thing display in my Tera Term.  The driver is install correctly, displayed in my Driver Manager.  I am running out of idea what will make it work.

Please help!

Thanks!

Grace

usasigcis Tue, 07/23/2013 - 20:53
User Badges:

in mac open "terminal " under utilities and type "screen /dev/tty.Keyserial"

Actions

This Discussion