CCIE R&S lab seat availability

Unanswered Question
Aug 13th, 2007

This is going to sound like a rant, but I need to vent my frustration.

Has anyone here tried to schedule a CCIE R&S seat recently? If they have, they will find that there are no seats available at any of the testing centers worldwide, on any date in the scheduling window.

This is extremely frustrating, especially when the certifications central says that they advise booking 2 to 4 months in advance. Well, that's what I am trying to do. I failed the lab on 4th December 2006, so I reckon now is the time for me to book a re-test. Too late! Seats are like gold dust. But the other day they must have had a cancellation because Brussels had a seat available on 5th December ... which of course I couldn't book because it was past the anniversary date of my failed attempt. Aaagh!

At this rate my theory exam is going to expire, not because I am unwilling to take the lab, but because the scheduling book is full. And like a child, all I can do is stamp my foot and say "It's not fair!"

What is Cisco playing at? Are they trying to make the certification harder to get by making the exam impossible to book? Generally, poeple studying for CCIE are pretty loyal Cisco advocates. But frankly, my loyalty is being tested to its limits. Nobody who is studying for CCIE deserves to be treated like this!

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
etienne.basset Mon, 08/13/2007 - 05:09

hello

indeed booking and paying a lab is almost as difficult as passing the lab. I booked a SP lab this july for august, and in july there was a lot of dates available, and today i recheked there are none left (same in R/S) so if i fail i will have to wait at least 6months...

But my advice is : connect on the site 2-times a day, sometime there are cancellations (in less than 28 days) jump on it!

I agree there's too less seats for CCIE labs and it's a shame, and perhaps they should raise the bar for written to have less lab candidates?? or open some others lab site?

good luck,

Etienne

sundar.palaniappan Mon, 08/13/2007 - 05:55

Kevin,

I understand your frustration and I don't blame you for that. Just getting ready to attempt the lab is in itself is stressful enough and you don't want to go through any more stress trying to schedule a lab. Scheduling the lab wasn't this bad when I took the R&S lab back in April 2005.

I don't know if you are a member of groupstudy IE mailing list. Usually folks talk about this kind of issues and you might get some helpful info there in scheduling your lab. Also, search the groupstudy archives and that might contain some useful info as well.

Just hang in there and I'm sure you will find a date soon. As the previous poster said check the schedule at different times of the day. Hope you clear the lab this time and that way you don't have to go through this exercise again.

One heartening thing about the whole thing is it appears based on the sheer number of people taking the lab the # still holds some value :-)

HTH

Sundar

2pparish Mon, 08/13/2007 - 07:58

You have some valid complaints, but if not being able to schedule your lab date has caused your loyalty in Cisco to flounder to the extreme, then maybe you should try attempting Microsoft Certifications and go with the integrity those certifications hold compared to the CCIE.

Cisco does everything practically perfect, yet this scheduling system is flawed. I think it has more to do with the popularity and integrity of the CCIE program. This in itself shows why Cisco is such a great company.

Actions

This Discussion