cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna cables

Mr. Bash
Level 1
Level 1

I generally deploy the 1231G cisco ap's along with two 5dbi cisco antennas [air-ant2506]. My predecessor used to purchase 6' antenna cables to go along with them.

I found this odd because the cabling tech would only mount the antennas about a foot and a half away from the AP and then COIL up the slack [isn't that defeating the purpose].

My thought is that you generally don't need to buy antenna cables unless you're having to mount the antennas a good distance away from the AP. But if the antennas are nearby, don't waste the money.

Am I right?

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ronald,

You are most correct here :) It sure sounds like the three foot cable that ships with a 2506 would be plenty. Additional length only adds loss and unsightly coils of cable. Maybe there was some question of how/where to mount the antennas that came into play here? You just never know.

Hope this helps!

Rob

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

In the situation you describe, I can only think it might have baan added as a "Service Loop" so the AP could be taken down (leaving the antennas in-place).

If the cabling is redundant, get rid of it, it'll cut down on the signal (strength) input to the antenna.

The extra connections are just additional points of failure and / or corrosion.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card