cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 switch dhcp question

a.mir
Level 1
Level 1

3560 switch out of the box. It is not getting an ip through dhcp.Should'nt it get an ip through dhcp.

Do i need to enable some dhcp feature in it.

My understanding was that the switch should be dhcp enabled.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

What you are asking about, is the command "ip address dhcp" there under the interface vlan1 by default, and AFAIK the answer will be no, you'll have to enter it for you switch to get an IP from the DHCP server.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

Though the DHCP Server Service is on by default, it's not configured.

There's no real simple way of just "turning it on".

Read: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_sea/configuration/guide/swdhcp82.html#wp1169056

And you should get a clearer picture of the steps/methods to run DHCP on a switch.

thanks for the reply, but i am still not sure what you mean.

Once the new switch is connected on the network, should the interface vlan 1 show an ip addressed recieved through dhcp.

Thanks.

Typically you'd provide addressing. Or have the/a switch in the layer 2 domain be a VTP server where you'd provide the VLAN addressing and it would propogate via VTP to Client switches.

It's a little more complex than just plugging it in.

I'd recommend you really read the doc I referenced and IP addressing reference docs linked in the DHCP document.

what if there is only one vlan, and a switch is connected to a hot port, the switch should come up with the ip address for the same vlan.

no vtp involved since there is only one vlan which is the management vlan.

You really need to read about DHCP as well as what a VLAN really is. For a host to get a DHCP address there needs to be a DHCP server and a pool of addressed to be served. These all need to be configured manually.

And with a VLAN, you need to manually assign it an IP Address/network subnet somewhere in the layer 2 of the subject network.

If you want that switch to also be a DHCP server, you need to configure a pool of addresses for the server to hand out to DHCP clients.

If you have an external DHCP server using the

ip name-server x.x.x.x

command you turn off DCHP services on the switch and let your external servers give out the addresses.

There's no automatic way to get a DHCP address automaticaly for a VLAN segment, as far as I know.

again i appreciate your help in this, but i believe you have misunderstood my question. i am not trying to make the switch hand out the ip addresses or make it a dhcp server.

Here is a scenerio, a remote site with a cisco 2811 router with an ip helper address configured to received ip's for the local lan through a dhcp server remotely for the clients/hosts.There are 4 preconfigured switches with ip's connected and up and running with one vlan which is the management vlan.No multiple vlans so i believe no trunking would be required.would you agree to that?

The whole purpose to the question is to add one more switch to that lan to increase the port density and i wanted the vendor to send the switch directly to the site so it could be connected on the network and get an ip dynamically and i could configure it remotly with standard parameters.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

What you are asking about, is the command "ip address dhcp" there under the interface vlan1 by default, and AFAIK the answer will be no, you'll have to enter it for you switch to get an IP from the DHCP server.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mohammad,

that was my question. perfect, thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card