Confusion about frame-relay

Answered Question
Aug 14th, 2007
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Guys

I need to know why do we call the frame-relay network as a multiaccess network.I can understand that it cannot supports broadcasts.

Simple explnation is appriciated.

Thanks

Mahmood

Correct Answer by Richard Burts about 9 years 11 months ago

Mahmood

Here is the simple explanation: multiaccess means that you use 1 interface and can send to multiple other devices. So think about a router with 1 serial interface which has 4 PVCs. This router can use 1 interface and talk to 4 neighbor routers. It is multiaccess because you send out 1 interface and can get to 4 destinations (multiaccess).

HTH

Rick

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Richard Burts Tue, 08/14/2007 - 02:24
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Mahmood

Here is the simple explanation: multiaccess means that you use 1 interface and can send to multiple other devices. So think about a router with 1 serial interface which has 4 PVCs. This router can use 1 interface and talk to 4 neighbor routers. It is multiaccess because you send out 1 interface and can get to 4 destinations (multiaccess).

HTH

Rick

mahmoodmkl Tue, 08/14/2007 - 02:41
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Rick,

Thanks for u r explanation,what i understand is that for multiaccess we need to think from the physical interface point of view rather logical point point of view.Because the router has 4 logical connections from one physical interface.

am i correct in thinking this.

Thanks

Mahmood

Richard Burts Tue, 08/14/2007 - 02:50
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Mahmood

I would say that you are mostly correct in thinking this. One of the very nice things about Frame Relay is that it gives us so much flexibility. We can configure it using 1 interface (which makes it multiaccess) or we can configure it as 4 point to point subinterfaces, which means that we effectively have 4 interfaces and each one is point to point.

Thanks for the rating of my explanation. I find that many people want to make understanding multiaccess more complex and more difficult than it really is. It is a pleasure to explain that it really is quite simple.

HTH

Rick

rajinikanth Tue, 08/14/2007 - 02:44
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi Mahmood,

Multiaccess Network (Frame-relay ntw) is that allows multiple devices to connect and communicate simultaneously.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Actions

This Discussion