cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding span

ambi
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 core switches conencted to each other via trunk.

Voip phones are in a seperate vlan and are distributed across both the switches

For recording the conversations i have connected a verint box to the core switch 1 and spanned the entire voice vlan to it.

Does this configuration span the traffic for the vlans on both the switches?

Will it be same if i make core2 as primary gateway and still keep the span on switch1?

Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

You will if you need to route the traffic off that vlan. But you won't if the traffic stays local to the vlan and does not cross the trunk port.

You will need to make sure you include the trunk port in your span session.

Jon

View solution in original post

The span would be able to capture all the traffic even from switch 2 since you indicated that switch1 is the primary gateway.

If However for some reason there is an HSRP failover and ur switch2 becomes active, the span configured would not be able to capture the traffic from switch2 as indicated by Jon

HTH

Narayan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You don't say which switches you are using but a span session is only local to the switch. If you want to span ports from multiple switches to a destination port you need to look at RSPAN.

Attached is a link to 6500 span configuration which explains the difference between the different types.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080160a5a.html

HTH

Jon

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Just like Jon said - it will not span traffic from both switches, only the one where span is configured.

Alternatively, you can configure SPAN ports on both switches and connect them to the box. Usually boxes for voice recording have more than one interface.

Jon,

The switches are 4506. The connection between the 2 is via g1/1 - g1/1

Core switch 1 is the primary gateway for all the voice vlan traffic.

I understand that we need to do RSPAN if we want to span ports from both switches.

But since i am spanning the vlan on switch 1 will i not get all the traffic from switch 2

via the trunk link on G1/1.

Do i still need RSPAN?

thanks

Hi

You will if you need to route the traffic off that vlan. But you won't if the traffic stays local to the vlan and does not cross the trunk port.

You will need to make sure you include the trunk port in your span session.

Jon

The span would be able to capture all the traffic even from switch 2 since you indicated that switch1 is the primary gateway.

If However for some reason there is an HSRP failover and ur switch2 becomes active, the span configured would not be able to capture the traffic from switch2 as indicated by Jon

HTH

Narayan

Thanks everyone for the inputs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: