Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-1GE-SFP "Switchport Trunk"

I am trying to configure a HWIC-1GE-SFP on a 2821 as a 802.1q trunk to connect to a 3508 switch.

If i try a show int gig x/x/x I get "gig x/x/x is not a switchable port"

I read the documentation that these modules do support dot1q VLAN's so what am I missing?

SW version is c2800nm-ipvoicek9-mz.124-16.bin

4 Replies 4

vanagon2tdi
Level 1
Level 1

Are you trying to make this a trunk port and create sub-interfaces? If so try the no switchport command, then create your sub's.

Not sure if you can do this with the HWIC's though.

Is the gig interface configured as a router port (no switchport). Can you try configuring the command 'switchport' under the interface?

the switchport command is not listed if I use a "?"

It appears HWIC-1GE-SFP is purely a layer 3 (router) interface. That makes sense as it doesn't support the 'switchport' command and the 'show int' command reveals it's not a switchable port. Moreover the product documentation shows 802.1q trunking is supported on this card.

In that case you should configure 802.1q subinterfaces on the router. This feature is called router-on-a-stick. The router can route all inter-vlan traffic with this feature. Configure the port on the switch that's connected to the 2800's router interface as 802.1q trunk.

Here's a sample configuration.

int g0/1.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 --> where 1 is the vlan #

int g0/1.2

encapsulation dot1q 2

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card