cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP vs VRRP

vijay.sinha
Level 1
Level 1

I would appreciate if any body would let me know the advantages of using VRRP over HSRP in a cisco environment (Cisco Switch & router).

My colleagues are explaining me to use VRRP over HSRP but I am trying ro explain them to use HSRP.

I would appreciate if some body can send me details of advantages of using HSRP over VRRP so that I can get my colleagues convinced to use HSRP.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They both offer the same type of service, the main difference is, HSRP is Cisco proprietary while VRRP is not. If you plan to design a 'first hop redundancy' solution where different hardware vendors come into play, VRRP will be the right choice. If you are sure you are going with Cisco and Cisco only, HSRP will be the right choice.

tromer
Level 1
Level 1

Object tracking was missing in VRRP at one point, but it's there in 12.3(2)T and up.

Not sure if VRRP supports advanced tracking using IP SLA reachability tests. I know HSRP does.

VRRP automatically preempts too.

I agree with the above post.

hth,

Ted

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card