cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unknown-00-0a-f4-3b-6d-78

trantien1982
Level 1
Level 1

The router of my company is Cisco 1760, it is working. I used the rollover cable to connect between the console port of router and the com port of PC to modify the configurational file. I used the Hyper Terminal program to configure router. From the user mode, i typed enable to login to the privilege mode to configure the router then the router provided the message this:

unknown-00-0a-f4-3b-6d-78> enable

% no password set

unknown-00-0a-f4-3b-6d-78>

Everybody help me!

thanks!

6 Replies 6

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

It looks like there's no enable password or enable secret set on the router, but the privilege level of your console session is not high enough to jump straight into enabled mode from initial login.

I'd say it's time to run a password recovery - not great if your router is actually working in a live environment, but you won't be able to do anything about this otherwise. Just ensure that when you're doing your password recovery, you'll want to set an enable password or enable secret. You can leave your login passwords as they are, if you have any set.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards

Graeme

tran

Are you sure that it was the console port? Is it possible that you were connected to the aux port instead? The symptoms that you report would be reasonable if you were on the aux (or in a telnet) but are very strange for a console connection. With no enable password (and no enable secret) the console session should go directly to privilege mode but the aux (and telnet) should generate the message about no password set.

If you were indeed on the console then the suggestion by Graeme might be what you need. But before you get into password recovery I would suggest that you try the console again and make sure that it is the console port.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

And don't confuse the "unknown-00-0a-f4-3b-6d-78" with an error message. That's the routers configured name!

Hi there,

No, I guessed that was it's configured name.

Really, using password recovery mode to set an enable password is the way to go on this one.

Kind regards,

Graeme

hi,

"unknown-00-0a-f4-3b-6d-78" is not the router'name I configured and I connected the rollover cable to the console port on the router. I recovered the password of router follow Cisco' guide for Cisco router 1760 but did not.

help me!

thanks!

tran

either someone configured "unknown-00-0a-f4-3b-6d-78" as the host name or someone configure that as the prompt (which is a feature that most people seem to not know about).

I would suggest that you post the entire router config (changing or hiding passwords and perhaps public addresses) so that we can understand better what is going on with this router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card