cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate from VLAN Database to Conf t method across network?

ians_2503
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

As the vlan database method is being deprecated we are looking to migrate our vlan configuration on our L2 devices from using the older style to the conf t method.

I can't find any documentation on Cisco or the internet for this.

Could someone please point me in the direction of either a document or at least some information regarding the migration procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

3 Replies 3

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You don't need to migrate any thing, just start doing the new VLANs in the global configuration mode, both store the information in the same place.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

Do you know if there is any Cisco documents that confirm this? I'm sure you're correct but it is a big change for our network so I'd prefer it in writing from Cisco if possible.

Thank you for the reply, it is very much appreciated!

Ian

Hi Ian,

I can imagine your concern, and anyway here you are a Cisco document illustrating how to configure VLANs in both modes and that "you can configure VLANs in global and VLAN configuration modes. When you configure VLANs in global and config-vlan configuration modes, the VLAN configuration is saved in the vlan.dat files" (except for Extended VLAN range which cannot be stored in the VLAN.DAT file (stored only in the NVRAM))

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/13ew/configuration/guide/vlans.html#wp1020847

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card