Views
Helpful
Replies

Ensure phone is ringing?

isteam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a user that claims her phone does not always ring, and calls end up going to voicemail because of this. The caller will then usually call back and ask why she didn't answer, as they heard it ringing on their end.

This has happened a couple times now, and the user swears up and down she isn't doing anything when it happens. Is there any way to tell if the phone is actually ringing all of the time? Traces or packet captures? Could this be an intermittently bad ringer?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

If you have a CallManager, you could enable CCM Detailed traces and that would show if the phone was rining or not. Also, the Directory on the Phone should show this under Missed Calls if the call was not answered. It would be tough for anyone here to explain how to read the traces, but if you have detailed traces from CallManager for the time when the issue occured, you can contact TAC for them to look at the traces and if needed troubleshoot as to why the phone did not ring. To enable CCM Detailed traces please check http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094e89.shtml

Make sure you enable it for all the nodes in the Cluster as TAC would need traces from the Node to which the Phones are registered and from the one where the Gateway is registered.

Hope this helps

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

is this occurring with only one phone?

I was going to suggest to replace the handset as a measure of quick elimination...

the thing is - even if your packet capture or debug or whatever did show ringing signal being sent to the phone - it still doesn't prove the actual ringer within the handset actually activated and rang :(

hth

Ajaz

isteam
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, both of you, for your responses. I think I will see about replacing the phone first of all, and if that doesn't fix it, we'll just have to dig a little deeper.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: