cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a 2611 with PIX 515E + PIX 7.2

jlixfeld
Level 1
Level 1

I have three IOS routers in different sites all interconnected via OSPF over GRE over IPSec. It's working perfectly. One of the routers at one of the sites is getting overloaded due to the IPSec, so I want to replace it with a PIX running 7.2 code.

The PIX doesn't support GRE so I have to re-think how this is all setup and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm not sure if I should get rid of GRE across the board and just do OSPF over IPSec (I'm not sure if IOS can do straight OSPF over IPSec without a tunnel of some sort, but it appears PIX 7.2 can) or what my options are here.

Any thoughts welcome.

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

you can monitor in Performance Monitor and describes supported software versions on those devices. The software versions that you can use on a device are limited in all cases by what can actually run on the device and are further limited in some cases by restrictions that Performance Monitor imposes. The router 2611 running 12.3(7)T can be replaced with 515E, 520, 525, 535 running software version 6.3(4), 7.0(x), or 7.1(x)

froggy3132000
Level 3
Level 3

If the routers are working perfectly, I would stick with it. Upgrade router model, if you are not using XM model go with add AIM-VPN/EPII-PLUS if needed for your IPSEC issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: