cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

After using ASDM v6, losing contact with device

jason.scott
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 ASA 5520s on site, one of which I've upgraded to version 8 software and version 6 ASDM. My own client software has upgraded when I connected to this firewall.

However when I use ASDM to connect back to one of our older firewalls there is a consistent whereby ASDM loses contact with the firewall after a couple minutes of inactivity. You cannot restore connectivity in the normal way expect to shut down the app and restart. Its causing issues because if you take too long to input a new set of ACLs or other configuration you lose what you've been working on.

I've searched the bugs but found nothing similar at the moment and I don't want to upgrade all of our firewalls to v8 just so that ASDM will work.

3 Replies 3

thomasdzubin
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using the Cisco ASDM Launcher which loads the asdm-xxx.bin file from the firewall or are you running ASDMv6 directly?

My personal experience: I found that I could not run v6 ASDM at all with a v7 ASA. I would get the error box that said:

"Your ASA image has a version number 7.2(2) which is not supported by ASDM

6.0(2). Please use Device Manager version 5.2(x)"

If you are running v6 ASDM directly and not using the Cisco ASDM Launcher which loads the version of ASDM from the firewall...then perhaps that is the problem.

I found that I could only use v5.22 ASDM with my v7 ASA and v6.02 ASDM with my v8 ASA

Annoying, but at least I don't have to care because Cisco ASDM Launcher loads ASDM from the firewall instead of my workstation.

Thanks. I am using the software client installed on my workstation. The launcher reports that it is version 1.5(22). It appears to load the correct image when logging onto different devices. A colleague has experienced the same issue.

h.parsons
Level 3
Level 3

I am seeing the same issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: