ICND1 module 1, Incorrect answers to questions

Unanswered Question
Aug 15th, 2007

The question on the new ICND1 module 1 test reads "45. Which statement about an Ethernet address is accurate? (Source: Understanding Ethernet)"

The correct answer is listed as "Both the destination address and source addresses consist of an 8-byte hexadecimal number."

I'm confused by this. MAC addresses/Ethernet addresses are 6 bytes long...right?

Also, when taking the exam, I answered 4 questions incorrectly. At the bottom of the results page it had:

"Number answered correctly: 79 out of 86"

None of the questions incorrectly answered were of the "pick the categories for the following statments" multiple question/answer questions.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jfinegan00 Sat, 08/18/2007 - 21:12

I made the same observation in the Certification discussions.

Every module has a few errors.

I sent feedback, and noticed the question you mentioned was changed.

It used to ask about a "MAC" address and they reworded it to say "Ethernet"

It is STILL wrong!

You are correct, 6 bytes.

More specifically it is "48 bits", with the first 24 being the manufacturer portion and the last 24 being approximately the NIC serial#. (traditionally)

The way the questions are worded I was led to believe that the author thought that hex.,dec.,and binary numbers were actually different somehow. (they only LOOK different when displayed :)

Although the MAC is always displayed as hex. There is a decimal and binary number that is the same.

Another one asks about private IP addresses and a 10.x.x.x address is not included in the correct answers. Yet the 127.x.x.x address is, as if you could use 127.x.x.x addresses in a private IP space. It would be 'very' private !

127.x.x.x 'should' never hit the physical layer.

I hope those questions were not lifted straight out of the 802 test!

Buggy and often WRONG is my impression of the New! practice questions.

paulneumann Mon, 08/20/2007 - 21:27

I also noticed the errors in the private subnet portion. I was trying to figure out if this was lifted from some other exam (perhaps one where a mask was included and the 10.x.x.x number turns out to be broadcast addr.) but with the data given, I can't figure out why 10.x.x.x is wrong.

It *does* seem like a lot of the practice tests have errors (this is one exceedingly blatant). The ones that drive me nuts are the ones where all the answers are right, but one is "more" right or it's the one you need to remember to answer a certain way.

What really makes me wonder is if these practice questions are wrong - how do we know that the *real* tests are correctly graded? There's no way to find out which questions you answered incorrectly on the real exam and to challenge the "grade". The reasons why are obvious I suppose, but seeing this type of stuff does not fill me with confidence.

jfinegan00 Tue, 08/21/2007 - 14:24

I agree that there is no way for us to know if the real test has the same dozens of errors until it is too late.

The fact that the errors remain published over 5 days after it has been pointed out to Cisco via feedback, makes me think they don't really care about our fate. Another possibility is, feedback is broken, and nobody at Cisco reads the forums.

Either way it reflects poorly on the "Training Team" in a very public way.

I woulda pulled the flawed content till it is fixed!

That is why I plan to take the 640-801 test.

Another obviously incorrect one is about the TCP/IP model. (rows and columns multi choice)

Two of the indicated correct answers(according to Cisco) are from the OSI model and are not even in the TCP/IP model. Those OSI columns have no business even being there on that question!

I could go on and on, but why?

There are a few blatant factual errors in each practice module.

As you pointed out about the ones with too many correct answers, the wording leads me to think that someone at Cisco needs to get a clue! Those questions seem to me to be more about testing marketing correctness than testing technical abilities.

It seems to me like some manager handed a book to a newb and said make some questions for the new test, and never checked their work.

(based on many years of real life experience)

It's pathetic!

(CO-OP's gone wild? Disgruntled employee? evil webmaster?)

I did my part, I sent feedback on many of the errors in each module. It's one of the required skillsets for success/advancement in this field of work. (not for makin friends though! lol)

I just look up the correct answers and plan NOT to take the 802 test.

It is good motivation to git 'er done before the 640-801 expires! :)

This Discussion