cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA551XX WEB VPN Authentication

robertgalloni
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure IAS authentication for our web vpn users I am able to authenticate IPSEC clients using IAS with no issues. I have tried several attempts to set up web vpn clients to authenticate the same way but have failed. WEB VPN users have no problem authenticating using the internal database on the ASA but when attempting to use IAS I get a user unknown or password error.

Any feedback or direction would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

The WebVPN users are not able to authenticate against the RADIUS server but can authenticate successfully with the local database of the VPN Concentrator. They receive errors such as "Login failed" and this message

These kinds of problems often happen when any database other than the internal database of the Concentrator is used. WebVPN users hit the Base Group when they first connect to the Concentrator and must use the default authentication method. Often this method is set to the internal database of the Concentrator and is not a configured RADIUS or other server.

When a WebVPN user authenticates, the Concentrator checks the list of servers defined at Configuration > System > Servers > Authentication and uses the top one. Make sure to move the server that you want WebVPN users to authenticate with to the top of this list. For example, if RADIUS should be the authentication method, you need to move the RADIUS server to the top of the list to push the authentication to it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: