DNS blocking on a 4500 core switch

Unanswered Question
Aug 15th, 2007

We have run a 4500 core switch for about a year in one of our buildings. It is part of a larger active directory network. None of the computers in the building will show up in network neighborhood. They will show up inside the building though. Our dns is run by our parent forest organization and even their DC will not show up outside the building.

This is an issue as many programs use that to do their work. Trying to add by ip address which does work is a pain.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tromer Thu, 08/16/2007 - 14:02

If I remember right, the "network neighborhood" is NETBIOS based which uses broadcasts. Try using a WINS server. I honestly haven't used the network neighborhood for sometime now.

When accessing other pc's by name, try using:

If you have the dns suffix settings in windows as "domain.xyz" you should be able to access computer's via machine name only (\\machinename)

DNS suffix can be pushed out via DHCP

Your winxp/2k machines should dynamically update the DNS records too.

gary.hostetler Thu, 08/16/2007 - 15:49

Where this comes into play for example is using the remote shutdown utility. It gives you the same list that you see when you browse network neighborhood. This is used by backup exec when browsing for other servers to backup. It is used by Scriptlogic when looking for DC's and so forth.

From the building itself I can see the other building's computers but outside the building I cannot see the computers back in.

This Discussion