cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871W and dual ISP connectivity

rgaudet
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I thought I had everything figured out with object tracking on a dhcp interface... Well I still have issues. I have cable modem on port Fa4 of the 871 and dsl on a Westell router connected to a switchport off of the 871. Tracking and routing looks good on the console with one small problem. Even though the DHCP learned route is the first route listed (S*) and the DSL static route is listed next (both routes having metric of 254), Internet sites show my public address as the DSL routers side. Another issue is when I unplug the cable modem to simulate a ISP failure, the primary route shifts to the DSL router like a good boy; however, when I plug the cablemodem back up give it a little bit, my router never shifts back to the other route. I know this does not work because when I do an extenede ping from that interface, I get no reply. I have to shut and no shut the interface for this to "work" again. I am thinking this "works" because I am forcing it to a DHCP request again... Any ideas or insight?

2 Replies 2

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Do you have c870-advipservicesk9-mz.123-8.YI3.bin IOS??

If yes than it has BUG.

If NOt than issue command " Service DHCP " See if it can help you.

If you can upgrade IOS with " c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T.bin " than you will see good result.

Revert to me if in case you have any queries.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Thanks for your reply. I am running c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T.bin already. I tinkered a little while longer after I posted my request and I might have it resolved. It seems to have worked the couple of times I tested it tonight. What I did was remove the statement from my Fa4 interface "ip dhcp client route track 123" and add "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Fastethernet 4 DHCP" instead. It seems when I would fail back over to the primary route, my DHCP learned gateway was not keeping. Since I added the default route, it has worked so far; however, I am unsure how or if it needs to be, still tracking since the only statement I had linking the two (interface and track number) was removed.

Any ideas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: