Views
Helpful
Replies

gateway

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

The gateway is the Router / PC(server) like one company have 50 nodes LAN with 2 L2 switches and 2 Routers for redundant purpose, in other location also same thing. Now which we can configure as a Gateway and what r the steps shall I take.

Plz. experts any body can explain me clearly.

Regards,

Naidu.

6 Replies 6

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Naidu,

Consider the Locations as HO & BO

HO:

Sicne you have only L2 Switches. Use the IP Address of the Router Interface connecting to the Switch as Gateway address of all Clients in HO

HO - BO:

You can configure the end - to - end communication between these two offices with some Routing Protocols / Floating Static Routes since you use the Redundancy. You can use Ethernet Comm... / Serial Port Comm...based on your Service Provider, Cost, etc.,

BO:

same as HO Setup as per your post.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru Prasad,

Thanks for your well your explain.

So The router become as a Gateway am i right? still now the setup has been planned now I have to implement.

For redundant purpose which protocol is the best one? if one can u provide the steps to configure.

Thanks in advance,

Naidu.

HI Naidu,

Yes.

INFO:If you are going to have VLAN Setup in your environment then VLAN Router IP will be the Gateway IP Address of the Clients. (Since you have only L2 Switches this may not be required for you neverthless as Tech Info).

For redundancy you can use Floating Static Routes. Primary Static Route as default to Primary link and Secondary (redundancy) static route to Backup Link with AD as 200.

Else, you would like to use only protocols for redundancy then EIGRP, OSPF, etc., Refer link below for study documents:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

DO RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS / REPLIES

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

Your info. so helpfull to me.

Ya I have to create 3 vlan's in each location for that I have to create 3 sub-int in router f0/0 am right? now which vlan IP become the Gateway can u give clear info.

More Regards,

Naidu.

HI Naidu,

Consider as below for subnet details:

VLAN 1: 10.1.0.0

VLAN 2: 10.2.0.0

VLAN 3: 10.3.0.0

For each VLAN you will have a Router IP.

VLAN 1 Router IP (eg:10.1.0.1)

-->as Gateway for clients in vlan1

VLAN 2 Router IP (eg: 10.2.0.1)

-->as Gateway for clients in vlan2

VLAN 3 Router IP (eg: 10.3.0.1)

-->as Gateway for clients in vlan3

INFO: You don't have to create sub-int in router fa0/0 for each VLAN.

===>Fa Eth 0/0 of Router A in HO can connect to Fa Eth 0/0 of Router B in BO for WAN Connectivity.

Finally, the IP Subnet of entire 10.0.0.0 Subnet Network must be routed over WAN.

DO RATE ALL HELPFUL REPLIES.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru prasad,

How we can create without create sub-int in router. As i know that sub-int id only will be vlan id r is there any other things.

regards,

naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card