ASA 5510 Firewall configuration

Unanswered Question
Aug 16th, 2007

Hi! Greetings to all

I have a Cisco ASA 5510. I need help with the basic configurations. I have a DSL Internet connections connected to the outside (Ethernet0/0) and my office network connected to the inside (Eth 0/1). I will require a DMZ interface later. Do i need an additional router? Do i need to have a static public IP? And do i need to use ip_packet_forwarding here? Can anyone give me some basic guidance and help setup this unit.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Thu, 08/16/2007 - 04:05

"Do i need an addtional router". Depends where you mean. Between your DSL and ASA no you don't. On the inside of your ASA - it really depends on how many subnets you have inside. If you only have one then no you don't need to worry about a router.

Public IP - yes it would certainly help.

ip_packet_forwarding - on which device ? The Asa will forward packets between interfaces providing you have the right NAT/access-lists in place.

attached is a link to the config guide for ASA v7.2. Start with this and please come back if you need further assistance.

ansuman07 Sun, 08/19/2007 - 23:52

Hi Jon

Thanks for the link. Now i am able to access the internet from inside ( network) via Broadband on the outside ( network). I have also connected our intranet server to the DMZ ( network) and i am able to access it from the inside.

But now i want to access the DMZ server from the outside. Is it possible? I was unable to add a NATing rule for a host on the outside so that it can access the DMZ. If I happen to select "outside" for my "Source Network", automatically the "dmz" option in the "Translate Address on Interface" dropdown box disappears.

How to go about it.

This Discussion