Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Firewall configuration

ansuman07
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! Greetings to all

I have a Cisco ASA 5510. I need help with the basic configurations. I have a DSL Internet connections connected to the outside (Ethernet0/0) and my office network connected to the inside (Eth 0/1). I will require a DMZ interface later. Do i need an additional router? Do i need to have a static public IP? And do i need to use ip_packet_forwarding here? Can anyone give me some basic guidance and help setup this unit.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

"Do i need an addtional router". Depends where you mean. Between your DSL and ASA no you don't. On the inside of your ASA - it really depends on how many subnets you have inside. If you only have one then no you don't need to worry about a router.

Public IP - yes it would certainly help.

ip_packet_forwarding - on which device ? The Asa will forward packets between interfaces providing you have the right NAT/access-lists in place.

attached is a link to the config guide for ASA v7.2. Start with this and please come back if you need further assistance.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/intro.html

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks for the link. Now i am able to access the internet from inside (192.168.3.0 network) via Broadband on the outside (192.168.1.0 network). I have also connected our intranet server to the DMZ (10.162.1.0 network) and i am able to access it from the inside.

But now i want to access the DMZ server from the outside. Is it possible? I was unable to add a NATing rule for a host on the outside so that it can access the DMZ. If I happen to select "outside" for my "Source Network", automatically the "dmz" option in the "Translate Address on Interface" dropdown box disappears.

How to go about it.

Regards

Siddhartha

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: