Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgradation

mukundpalsikar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Forum,

we are using IOS 12.4(7a)on our router, now available is 12.4T, so shall we go for an upgradation? whats the differance between two?

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mukund

12.4(7a) would be main line code while 12.4T is the T train. The T train is used to provide support for new hardware, for new features, or other new functionality. The emphasis in main line is on stability and so new features and functionality are not generally introduced in the main line versions.

There are certainly newer versions in main line than 12.4(7a) (12.4(16) is the most recent) version of main line code. You might consider whether upgrading to the newer versions of main line was worth it (there would be some performance enhancements and some bug fixes among the reasons to go to a newer version). And you might check the release notes to see if there were new functionalities that might make it worth going to 12.4T versions of code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Guys,

I am new to this forum and i hope it will be great to have my self here.

Cheers

Mukund

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

The new IOS code would have a lot of bug fixes.

It is always advisable to have the new IOS in place if you have the necessary flash and memory requirements

sorry Rick didn't see your response before posting :-)

HTH

Narayan

Narayan

It is not a problem. We were both typing responses at the same time. Overlaps like this will happen sometimes. It is a sign of activity in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Use this site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_most_requested_tools.html

It's your choice if you want to uppgrade.

Why if you have no bugs and don't need new features ?

BR,

Bjornarsb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card