Finding rogue APs that are on wired network

Unanswered Question
Aug 16th, 2007

I am beginning to think that there is no way to gaurantee that a rogue AP is connected to your wired network. I have read up on RLDP and "rogue detection". I was excited because I thought rogue detection would accomplish this. However, when I connect an autonomous AP to my wired network it does not get identified as being on my wired network despite the "rogue detector" being in place and connected to a trunk port with all network vlans on it. In thinking through this I believe this is because the radio mac and ethernet macs are different on the autonomous AP. The ethernet mac of the autonomous rogue AP is in the rogue detector dB, not the radio mac. So when the detecting APs sends the radio mac to the rogue detector it doesn't get flagged. Can anyone confirm this? And if so offer any insight to a workaround. I was able to get a "rogue client" flagged as a threat connecting via this AP, because it arp entry is in the rogue detectors dB. But I can't get the AP flagged. If this is the case then rogue detection is more or less useless to me because I care about rogues on my network (obvious security breach) not rogues in other businesses in my area. I rather now when the rogue AP goes in and not have to wait until a rogue client connects to it. Please advise....

Regards Chuck

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
chris-marshall Fri, 08/17/2007 - 04:57

Network Chemistry makes a free tool (as well as a more advanced product you can buy) that might fit the bill for you. It relies on people properly classifying the devices on their own network with the free tool to build a database of device types based on the vendor ID digits of mac addresses, as well as some snmp scanning (I think). A link is below. I don't have a lot of experience with the tool, only because I'm not entirely convinced of it's accuracy, but to be honest, I've never really used it in a production environment

Good luck!

-Chris

http://www.networkchemistry.com/products/roguescanner.php

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode