cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 3.1.5 side-by-side upgrade to 4.2

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Would someone please confirm that I cannot use DiRT to do a direct upgrade? Is the most gracefull method to load 3.1.5 on the new servers, restore via DiRT and upgrade the new servers to 4.2?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

DiRT restore will only restore to the SAME version that you backed up. It cannot be used for upgrading Unity. Unity 3.1 still uses the USB dongle so to install 3.1 on new servers would require a demo/temporary USB. You can get this from your account team. Have you considered upgrading your current box to 4.2 (unless you are running on a non-supported platform for that version). That would allow you to perform the upgrade and move into FlexLM without the dongle first. Then you could install a demo version of Unity 4.2 on the new server, using demo license CiscoUnity4.0.lic which comes on the DVD and move your users with DiRT backup to the new server. This method also allows you to test the new server with a couple of test users beforehand.

Ginger

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to leave the production system alone until I had the replacement ready - and made sure everything was in order. I will need to re-think the strategy....or get one of the dongles

I'm going to bring up this bug because it is currently biting me in the a%&. Check out bug CSCec63309. It causes the secondary of a failover pair to fail, if the primary was upgraded from 3.1(x) to 4.0(x). I would try and find out if this bug affects upgrades to 4.2 as well, so you might be ready to do a full reinstall immediately after you do your upgrade.

CSCec63309 was marked un-reproducable and the internal comments refrence the defect below as addressing the issue in Cisco Unity 4.0.3.152 which was pre 4.0(4). So the issue was resolved with the release of Cisco Unity 4.0(4)

Failover - Problems when one server upgraded and other new install

http://www-tac.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCec48081

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: