Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco vs Sonicwall

hybrid125
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our company is currently looking at replacing our firewall solution. Currently we have 2 Sonicwall Pro 230s in a high availability configuration and 2 Astrocom Powerlink Wan Aggregation Boxes in case one of our two ISPs goes down. We are hosting a web server and currently have about 65 users on our network. The two outdated Pro 230s cannot provide us with the reporting and VPN capability that we need. We've been looking at two Sonicwall 3060 or two Pix 515E. The Pix are much more expensive and I cannot figure out why. What is it about a Cisco router that makes it twice the cost of a sonicwall?

4 Replies 4

Check the Cisco ASA5500 series, it will give a lot more VPN performance than a PIX or Sonicwall.

You're right. I've done some research on the ASA models and the 5505 or the 5510 would work. Which one do you think would better fit out situation? I've heard the reporting is better on the 5510, which is very important to us, but the cost is also 3x the 5505. I will have to present a very persuasive argument to get funding for the 5510.

I forgot to mention in my first post that we are also hosting an Exchange server.

The reporting should be the same since both devices use the same software. Just check if the 5505 meets your requirements in terms of performance.

HTH

froggy3132000
Level 3
Level 3

For the amount of users you have, a 2 Pix's might be overkill. I don't know the specs of the Sonicwall but how much traffic are you pushing across it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card