Views
Helpful
Replies

Zero-ing out log files in RME 3.5 on Solaris

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

Will the commands below work to zero out all log files and make a

backup of them to the /tmp directory on Solaris?

/etc/init.d/dmgtd stop

$NMSROOT/cgi-bin/admin/logBackup.pl -dir /tmp

/etc/init.d/dmgtd start

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you use logrot.pl, you will have to configure it by first using logrot.pl -c. Once the log files are known to logrot, then simply running logrot.pl without any arguments will zero out all of the log files in its config.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

If I don't even want to make a backup of the log files, can I just run the command:

$NMSROOT/cgi-bin/admin/logBackup.pl

You should just use logrot.pl. It was shipped with RME 3.5 starting in IDU 6.0. If you just want to quickly zero out a file, you can also run NMSROOT/bin/logrot_trunc on the file. You don't even need to restart dmgtd for most log files.

So I can just run logrot.pl with no arguments and the perl script will zero out the log files without making a backup. Correct? That's exactly what I want to do.

If you use logrot.pl, you will have to configure it by first using logrot.pl -c. Once the log files are known to logrot, then simply running logrot.pl without any arguments will zero out all of the log files in its config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: