cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can WLC loadbalance users between APs?

DANIEL WANG
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning for an upgrade to lightweight APs and a WLC. I wonder if a controller can loadbalance users across densely populated APs if the signal strengths are close enough.

If yes, can I manually control it as well?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Yes, that is possible, there is a feature called Aggressive load balancing

Aggressive load balancing is an algorith where the APs on the same mobility group talk to

each other to find out what AP is less busy, and when the client wants to associate to an

AP the client will be deny association with a reason 17 code up to 3 times if the controller thinks there?s a better AP in the vicinity for the client.

Regards,

~JG

Please rate helpful posts

But many TAC engineers have suggested to disable the aggressive LB feature. They said many cards do not understand it and that just causes more troubles such as disconnecting problem. I am not sure what we should do with this. As TAC suggested, we turned off the aggressive LB feature.

Zhenning

Interesting. What observations have you made as far as user experiance and/or radio load since you have disabled aggressive load balancing?

We also did some other things as TAC suggested(turn off MFP) for disconnecting issue. After those, the complains about disconnecting did decrease.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: