cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you use HWIC-4ESW to route to another network?

nat.watkins
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2801 router with two interfaces.

We want to add HWIC-4ESW to have at least 2 more routable interfaces. I understand that if you assign 1 interface to vlan 1 and and one of the other interfaces on the card to vlan 2, and assign Ip;s to the vlans you make a router out of the vlans. Does anyone know were any documentation is on web to make this work?

The built in interfaces are being used as routed ports to internet. The Vlan router will be a gateway to another network.

21 Replies 21

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. There should be also another way, that is "no switchport" and assign IP directly under interface.

If you have not purchased the module yet, you can also look at installing 2 x HWIC-1FE instead. With these, all the QoS, routing etc, features are guaranteed to work like on the built-in ports.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Paolo, I doubt that these modules support routed port configurations.

Having said that, unless there is a requirement to connect 4 devices i would prefer the HWIC-1FE or HWIC-2FE

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

I based my assertion on the following:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_qanda_item09186a00802c9e7a.shtml

Admittedly, the FAQ is an older one related to the 16 and 36 port Network Module, not the HWIC.

Thing is, all the etherswitches I've sold are too remotely installed to try.

Paolo,

Even i have never used these HWICS and hence not sure. Perhaps somebody who has tried it can confirm :-)

Narayan

Hi Paolo and Narayan,

Unfortunately i tried using this HWIC in one of my labs but as per this document "No, the Cisco EtherSwitch HWICs do not support routed ports. This means you cannot assign an IP address directly to the interface and make it a Layer 3 interface".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8016c026.shtml

[edit] for the original poster, each switch port can be assigned to its own VLAN, effectively providing four additional routed ports (SVI) and give the ip addresses under the VLAN interfaces, but take care of this "However, there are serious performance and feature limitations to doing this. The VLAN interfaces are truly Layer 3 switching interfaces and are treated uniquely among interface types on the router. Many features are not supported or tested on these interfaces, including Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPOE) termination, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol Version 3 (L2TPv3) termination, MAC address assignment, Layer 3 QoS, and others. You should carefully test any desired feature and solution prior to deploying it."

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

Thanks for testing it out and clarifying the doubts :-)

Hows prep going btw?

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

Its going great, but i hope to be able to return to a normal person again after getting the number :) Thanks very much for asking.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Great. Thanks Mohammed!

you are very welcomed Paolo, we are all like a team here :)

Thanks All for the info. I am green to cisco router config.

I have installed card. Assigned ports 0 to vlan 1, assigned ports 2 thru 4 to vlan 2.

Assigned IP's i side for my LAN the other side for WAN.Setup static route.

But it still does not seem to route. Even tried ping from router. Am I missing a step?

The worst thing is that when I install card it seems to interupt-slow down service on my other routed ports.

Thanks Again

Hi,

You must create the VLANs, assign them, configure IP address under the interface vlan and no shut it.

Can you post your configuration, show show vlan-switch and a show ip interface brief.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html#wp1051418

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

muhasif99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently configured 2811 router with HWIC-4ESW card could successfully route between three networks.

show me your config and I can help

Thanks for your help

Here is my config. Will it work?

Hi Nathaniel,

This should work, but make sure that you've added VLAN2 and 3 to the VLAN database, if you may please post a "show vlan-switch", you can add them as follows:

router#vlan database

router(vlan)#vlan 2

VLAN 2 added:

Name: VLAN0002

router(vlan)#vlan 3

VLAN 3 added:

Name: VLAN0003

router(vlan)#exit

APPLY completed.

Exiting....

router#

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco