cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cluster server on diff location, is it possible to advertise one subnet

sarfaraz1981
Level 1
Level 1

my company want to make cluster server one server in HQ and other server IN remote region. and want to configure one IP add on both the server but the HQ and Remote location is having diff subnet,is it possible to configure one subnet on two differenet location routers ? i am suspecting that ther may be chances of network loops and packet drops, please help me if you have any solution

3 Replies 3

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If I have understood your case this cannot be done. You need to advertice the remote location with a host route. i.e more specific than the whole subnet. ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 next-hop.

BR,

Bjornarsb

thanks for providing me solution for this and i appriciate .

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarfaraz,

The only way to achieve this is by bridging the 2 locations. However, I don't recommend this approach since you will be extending your Layer2 over a WAN connection.

Even if you were to assign an IP address on that server and transport it over to the remote location, when you ping the server from HQ to the remote location, the packet will never get there since the HQ device will never ask the HQ router to 'route' the packet. The packet will remain within the HQ network.

You need to investigate if it's possible to cluster servers while on different subnets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card