cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding Format File System

stevebybee
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any caveats in formating the file system on a catalyst 2900 series switch?

This switch that I have was given to me, and was passworded and nobody knew the password. I proceeded with the password recovery of the switch, and updated the IOS to c2900xl-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC17.tar

Now I have ports 1 thru 4 all orange including the system led. On bootup it tells me that ports 1 - 4 "front-end post: port# loop-back packet not received"

It never did this until I updated the IOS

The switch originally was configured with about 20 Vlans.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

This kind of POST failure usually indicates physical damage to the interface. If an Ethernet Controller that controls four interfaces fails, those ports fail too (1-4 in your case). A common cause of such damage is ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). For Catalyst 2900XL switches, the issue is documented in Cisco bug ID CSCdm13915.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080125913.shtml#topicsub1

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

This kind of POST failure usually indicates physical damage to the interface. If an Ethernet Controller that controls four interfaces fails, those ports fail too (1-4 in your case). A common cause of such damage is ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). For Catalyst 2900XL switches, the issue is documented in Cisco bug ID CSCdm13915.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080125913.shtml#topicsub1

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Yeah, thats what I was afraid of, was just hoping it was a corrupt IOS image.

Thank you

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card