cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE500 port hang?

sbacalanmo
Level 1
Level 1

My company recently upgraded our old switches to CE500... we have offices spread over a large geographical location. since we don't have a budget for an SPF we used our old Media Converters (100Mbps) connected to the gigabit port(s)... My problem is during an overnight blackout on a remote office/location. when the electricity comes back the connection doesn't come back (CE500 is on). I've tried reseting port(disable/enable) port, it didn't work Can anyone help me identify the true source of the problem?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which SW are you running on the switch ?

I'm using Cisco Catalyst Express 500 on Site A, also a Catalyst Express 500 on Site B. Both are connected using media converters. when an overnight power failure occurs we are not able to contact the remote site when the electricity comes back. i'm using gigabit port to connect the media converters.

I'm using IOS release 12.2(25)SEG on both switches.

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

We had this problem. Your source of the problem is Media Converter. It has it's own "operating system" of a sort. There are some basic settings. During blackout it will not come back up properly.

To fix the problem, disconnect power from your media converter, wait for a bit and connect it back in. Also try disconnecting Ethernet cable from MC (shut/no shut on the box will have no effect).

Hope this helps.

Please rate all helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: