cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Magic number failed

cavnet
Level 1
Level 1

we powered off our caor due to power issues, but when we brought the 6500's back uo it came up with a message of failed magic numbers,

can anyone shed any light on thi problem???

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I think the IOS might be corrupted.

Can you post the exact output of the error you are seeing during bootup?

Narayan

here are two logs we got from the 6500

one of them has info at the top, the other has info at the bottom realting to magic number issue

1. Shut down the switch and re-insert all modules (unplug/plug), power up the switch. If it still doesn't work, go to step 2

2. Shut down the switch again, unplug all modules except sup engine, power up the switch. Take note that if you have redundant sup engine, you have to perform this for each sup engine. If it still doesn't work (both sup engine or one of the sup engine), go to step 3.

3. Log a case with Cisco TAC. However, if it works, shutdown the switch

Invest in UPS if DC have only one PDU or DC power is not reliable (i.e. leak, crazy people sharing with your power source :))or STS if DC have more than one PDU.

bbaillie
Level 1
Level 1

All of the bad magic number errors I have seen in the past have required that the flash be reformatted and the IOS copied back to the flash, this is a filesystem problem and the only way out I have found to fix it is a reformat, why broke dunno.

I would recommend that you get an external flash card, put it in the good supervisor blade, format it, copy the IOS to it, move the flash card to the non working Sup blade and boot from it. Now that you are booted, format the "sup-bootflash" and copy the IOS from the flash card to the "sup-bootflash". You are now good to go. If you want to check the boot environment from rommon use the "set" command.

Cheers,

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: